Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sweet Summertime: Protection Tips for the Warm Weather

In my opinion, summer is the best season of the year...but it can also be a very dangerous one for our hair. Excessive chlorine and sun exposure can be very damaging to our hair and we often don't even think about protecting our hair from it. However, it is crucial that we care for our hair during the time when we are most exposed. Here are some tips for keeping your hair safe during summer!

Sun Damage: 
When protecting your hair from the sun, remember that there are two types of rays which are harmful to our hair. 1. Ultraviolet A (UVA) rays can penetrate deep into the cortex, affecting the strength and elasticity of your hair. UVA rays can distort the pigmentation of your hair, altering your hair's natural color. In addition UVA rays can burn the hair cuticles causing hair to become brittle and dry. 2. UVB rays also penetrate the cortex, causing dry hair. 

How Sunscreen Can Protect Your Hair
Many sunscreens contain ingredients like titanium dioxide and zinc oxide which protecting the hair by reflecting the sun rather than absorbing it.Other ingredients such as Avobenzone and octyl methoxycinnamate absorb ultraviolet light and prevent it from reaching your hair. In order to determine how long a sunscreen will protect you, use this SPF calculator

What to protect your hair with:

Chlorine Damage:
What I look forward to most during the summer is swimming. When I was little I would swim and swim and swim and swim until I was sure that fins would grow out of my back! Even though I love to swim, I have had first hand experience with hair damage as a result of exposure to chlorine (ex: my texturized hair falling out :( ).  I know that a lot of naturals wouldn't dare dip their precious fro under water. But what the heck, Y.O.L.O. right? If you dare to be different like me, here are some quick tips for protecting your hair from the chlorine:
1.  Soak your hair in non-chlorinated water before hopping into the pool. Your hair will absorb less chlorine if it has already absorbed the non-chlorinated water. 
2. Even taking care of your hair before the pool will not prevent ALL chlorine damage. So afterwards make sure to hop in the shower and wash any chlorine out with a sulfate free shampoo. Then follow up with a deep conditioning treatment to restore any lost moisture.

My Beach Hair Routine:
My Hair After I Co-washed & took out the braids

Rocking the Twist-Out at Tybee Island

Front view of my hair after
washing & retwisting

Side view of my hair after washing & retwisting

So last weekend I went to Beaufort SC & this weekend a group of my friends and I went to Tybee Island. Whenever I hit the beach I put my hair up into twists/braids and leave it in while I'm swimming. When I get back to the hotel I co-wash (conditioner wash) my hair while it's still in the twists/braids & take it out before I go to dinner! If I'm going to the beach again the next day, I'll put five to six mini twists/braids on the crown of my head for definition & 5 to 6 chunky braids in the back. BTW beach hair= the best hair. Something about the perfect amount of humidity gives the hair the right amount of Va-Va-Voooooooom.

Keep it natural,

Jackie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment