Monday, July 2, 2012

Finger Detangling

Hey Naturals,

Over the past two summers I've devoted my time to trying new things with my hair. During the school year I am so loaded down with homework/work that my is often neglected. Two summers ago I was testing the water and experimenting with my natural hair texture. Last summer I went cold turkey & didn't put any heat in it for 6 months while I learned how to manage my hair. Now that I have what I think is a good handle of caring for my hair, I'm learning to "fine tune" certain aspects of my hair care routine. During my past two washes, I have experimented with finger detangling.

As usual before I tell you about what I'm doing now, let me catch you up on what I had been doing. Usually I hop into the shower and 1. Depending on how much product I've used I wash with a sulfate free shampoo. 2. Condition my hair with TRESemme Moisture Rich, Vitamin E Conditioner. 3. Detangle with Aussie Moist Conditioner and/or Herbal Essences Hello Hydration using a wide tooth comb. This usually takes 45 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on how well I've managed my hair before the wash (in other words depending on if I have or have not let my hair go to the point where I look like the love child of Amy Winehouse & Bob Marley. Yikes!)

However, the last two times that I washed my hair I finger detangled before hopping into the shower. I separated my hair into about 12 sections (My hair is super thick so I do many sections. However, 6-8 sections should suffice.) Next I sprayed each section with water from a spray bottle (I got mine for $0.99 at Walmart. Look in the travel cosmetics section or check the dollar store.). Next I saturated my hair with Aussie Moist conditioner before beginning to finger detangle. I worked my way up from the bottom, just as I would when  using a comb. What I found was that it was easier to find the tangles in  my hair when using my fingers. A comb simply drags the tangles further down the strand of hair causing other strands to tangle up along the way, but when using my fingers I could stop the tangles before they worsened. It took me about an hour and a half to finger detangle. Keep in mind that I was watching the X-games with my brother & doing odd tasks in between. However, I think that even if I hadn't been taking breaks it still would have taken me longer to finger detangle. After detangling I hopped into the shower, shampooed, did a hot oil treatment & lightly conditioned, before hopping out of the shower and moisturizing. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue finger detangling in the future. That's a huge investment of time, especially for in the future where studying is a must. Do you finger detangle? Tell me about it in the box below!


Keep it Natural,

Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment