Friday, July 13, 2012

What To Eat To Grow Healthy Hair

Hey Naturals,


Back when I was taking
care of my hair. 
Apologies for not blogging in nearly two weeks. I have had blogger's block (you know, like writer's block but for bloggers) for the past two weeks. So a couple of posts back I talked about how my goal for this summer was to keep my hair in protective hairstyles for the majority of the summer. Well that has been a complete FAIL. I was good for about two weeks. I kept my hair in twists & put my twists into a bun similar to the one on the left. But eventually after having my hair out for one night I got completely lazy & I haven't done anything with my hair since....literally. *Gross Warning* I mean I even went to the beach & didn't wash my hair until two days later when my scalp was itching. The past two weeks have consisted of an eco styler gelled up bun which I have yet to detangle. I took my hair down today to wear it out & I found several large knots. Needless to say I am ecstatic about washing it tomorrow -____-  
My hair today= a mess
        But anywho, let's get to the point. Since my hair goals for this summer have been a complete failure, I've been focusing on other things. About two weeks ago I decided that I need to lose weight. I've had several hundred (haha) failed attempts at doing so, but this time I'd say I'm pretty adamant about it. I'm doing a metabolism boosting workout regimen that I read in Self magazine. I do 100-150 minutes of moderate/high intensity cardio per week (I've been alternating between Zumba & the ellipticals). Then I also do a resistance circuit with 4-8 toning exercises 2-3 times a week. Along with my exercise plan, I've been trying to eat healthier & I only drink water and one cup of orange juice to take my vitamins. In the process of trying to eat healthy I've been searching for things to eat to make my hair grow. One of the hardest things about eating healthy for me is that fact that I'm allergic to a lot of healthy things. Nuts, sesame seeds, celery, bananas, asparagus, swiss cheese, the list goes on and on. A lot of the things that I'm allergic to are perfect snacks for someone that's trying to shed a couple of pounds... or trying to grow their hair out. Needless to say, I had my work cut out for me when searching for healthy hair growing snacks. Here are some of the things that I found that are allergen free (for me at least) & healthy:



  1. Protein Rich Foods: Because your hair is made of protein, you want to eat foods which are rich in proteins. For stronger hair follicles eat these foods: lean meats, poultry (turkey & chicken), fish, beans, lentils, low-fat yogurt and chickpeas.
  2. Iron rich foods: Iron is one of the most important nutrients for hair growth. Iron contains hemoglobin, a protein that allows for your blood to carry oxygen to the root of the scalp. Iron intake in particular is a challenge for me. I am anemic & I often forget to take my vitamins. Thus it's really important that I eat foods rich in iron. Foods rich in iron include raisins, dark vegetables & many of the other foods on this list.
  3. Vitamin C: Vitamin C helpts the body to absorb iron (thus the reason why I drink orange juice with my vitamins). It is also responsible for the  growth of collagen and thus the prevention of split ends. Citrus fruits & strawberries are packed with Vitamin C.
  4. Vitamin B-12 & Folate (produces folate acid)- These vitamins are responsible for manufacturing red blood cells that transport iron. Cereal & eggs are rich in vitamin B-12 & Folate.
  5. Salmon/Flax Seeds: Salmon & Flax Seeds are rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Omega-3 Fatty Acids are crucial for scalp health and prevent hair from becoming dry & brittle.
  6. Vitamin A & C: Dark vegetables, such as collard greens & spinach, contain vitamins A & C. These vitamins are crucial to the production of sebum, the oily substance released by the hair follicles which act as a natural conditioner. Dark green vegetables are also good sources of calcium & iron. Carrots are also a good source of Vitamin A. 
  7. Beans: Legumes, such as kidney beans & lentils, are some of the greatest foods for hair care. They are rich in proteins and are also a great source of iron, zinc & biotin. Biotin prevents the hair from becoming brittle, while zinc prevents the hair from shedding. 
  8. Nuts (for those who aren't allergic like me): Cashews, almonds & pecans are great sources of zinc. While walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids. Brazil nuts also contain selenium, which is vital for scalp health.
  9. Don't skip breakfast! Breakfast, in particular cereal, provides some of the most needed nutrition to hair follicles due to the time of day. Cereal (and anything with whole grains) has zinc,  iron and B vitamins & is often infused with many other types of vitamins. By eating cereal for breakfast, the follicles are assisted in sending nutrients to the scalp and growth is stimulated. Double the amount of hair benefits by eating your cereal with low fat milk or yogurt. Low-fat dairy products like skim milk and yogurt are great sources of calcium. They also contain whey and casein which are two high-quality protein sources.  Don't feel like eating cereal? Grab an egg! Everyone knows that eggs are one of the best sources of protein. Did you also know that eggs are also a great source of biotin & vitamin B-12?
  10. Vitamin E: Found in cereals, vegetables and fruit, Vitamin E improves scalp circulation and stimulates hair growth.
  11. Avoid Caffeine Like the Plague: Although soda is tempting & every Southern girl was raised on sweet tea, do not drink tea/soda with caffeine. Caffeine prevents the body from absorbing iron, thus preventing the circulation of oxygen to the scalp!
By eating these foods, you can bet that your hair will grow healthy in no time.

Keep it natural,

Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment